Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Rosco and Teddy

I adopted Rosco on January fourth of this year (20119) from the Detroit branch of the Michigan Humane Society.
He is a German Shepherd, Australian cattle dog mix. I started training him for guide dog work shortly after getting him by taking him in to all kinds of places to socialize him with people and to expose him to different kinds of noises for work later on. Once he reached six months old however he began getting sick and having other problems. I can't use him for service work now because he has a floating hip and floating knees and I am unable to afford the surgery to reposition the knees properly, so he is just a pet now. I can't believe where eight months has gone though. He turned a year old this past Sunday.
The fourth of September.
He has grown so much in the past several months. He has turned into a big baby. :)
I also have a chocolate lab named Teddy who I adopted in May and I am in the process of training to be a guide dog since Rosco is unworkable. Teddy is around a year old and is also a rescue from a shelter. All three of my animals are from shelters and unless I'm looking for something specific in a particular breed all of my dogs from here on out will be from shelters.
I train my own, and I started with Rosco because with owner-training you can teach the dogs to do many more tasks than any of the schools do. The schools who train guide dogs train for one specific purpose and that is the guidework.
Granted you can teach the dog other things once you get them home if you go to a school to get a dog, but thank you very much, my theory is starting from the beginning is much easier than starting after they are trained for one specific task.
Clickers make wonderful markers for training.
I have several of them because they are plastic and they can brake.

No comments: